What types of plastic films & bags can I recycle?
- LDPE/HDPE Films
- Newspaper Sleeves
- Bread Bags
- Product Wrap
- Cereal Liners
- Food Storage Bags
- Ice Bags
- Pellet Bags
- Produce Bags
- Dry cleaning Bags
- Grocery Bags
- Case Overwrap
- Packaging Air Pillows (“pop” the pillows to save space)
- Bubble Wrap
- Salt Bags
- 100% PLASTIC mailing/shipping envelopes (PAPER LABELS REMOVED…Cut out if necessary.) *Sorry, but the padded shipping envelopes with yellow manila paper on the outside are NOT accepted. These are considered MIXED MATERIALS and should be REUSED or trashed.
What are the most common contaminants?
- Rubber bands
- Twist ties
- Foil bags (chip bags, etc)
- Any bag or film with liquid or food residue
- Any plastic material that is similar in looks as the accepted items but tears easily like paper or sounds like crunchy potato chips, cannot be recycled. Cellophane and many cereal bags/liners are a good example.
Why can’t plastic bags & film go in my normal recycling?
Most plastic bags and film clog up the sorting equipment at recycling facilities.
What will Recyclops do with the plastic bags & film it collects?
Recyclops will bale them and ship them to the Trex Company that will turn them into high quality plastic wood for decking, siding, etc.
What types of batteries can I recycle?
Do I need to put tape on the terminals of certain batteries?
While most batteries do not require tape on the terminals, all lithium, lead acid, all batteries over 9 volts, and some electronics batteries (if the plastic casing is cracked) need to have the terminals taped with basic clear tape. See this guide for more details.
These types of batteries can cause sparks when they rub together so PLEASE follow these guidelines and tape the terminals of the batteries requiring it.
Clothing & Textiles
What types of clothing will be accepted?
We accept new, gently used and reusable clothing for adults and children. This also includes shoes, belts, purses, hats, coats and jackets.
Additionally we accept gently used linens; such as towels, sheets, pillow cases, comforters, blankets and throw rugs. Help us by keeping shoes paired and not including unwanted items, especially breakable items and anything made of glass.
What types of light bulbs can I recycle?
We accept standard household bulbs including incandescent, CFLs, and LEDs.
What if my light bulbs break?
For the safety of our drivers and facility workers we do not accept broken bulbs.
Plastic Clamshells (add-on service)
What types of Thermoforms (Clamshells) can I recycle?
Only CLEAR containers with the #1 recycling symbol are Thermoforms.
Please do not include containers that are colored black and/or have the #5 recycling symbol.
Recyclable thermoforms include:
- Salad & Fruit Containers
- Plastic Take-Out Containers
Why doesn't my normal recycling take clamshell plastics?
Clam shells are made from the same chemical compound as #1 PET plastic water and soda bottles. However, the way the chemicals are bonded together in clam shells is different from #1 PET plastic water and soda bottles and therefore can’t be recycled the same way. Furthermore, the market for sorted bales of clam shells is not nearly as well developed as it is for PET bottles so recycling sorting facilities do not have an economic incentive to sort them out. Lastly, due to the shape and thinness of clam shell plastic, they are difficult for automated sorting systems to effectively sort them out.
What will Recyclops do with the Clamshells they collect?
We will bale them and ship them to our partners who specialize in recycling clamshell plastics. The clamshells will be turned right back into new clam shells for a truly circular process.
Some areas we service already accept and recycle clamshell containers. If that is the case in your area, continue recycling these with your normal curbside recycling.
What types of Styrofoam can I recycle?
We can only accept rigid block foam, the type you often get with fragile shipments. Please remove any tape or stickers from the styrofoam before putting it out for pick up.
We cannot accept packing peanuts or any food packaging styrofoam such as meat trays or styrofoam cups.
Bags & Boxes
How should I use my box?
While the box is for you to use however works best, here are some suggestions:
- Batteries – Keep a sandwich or quart size zipper bag in the box for placing your dead batteries.
- Light bulbs – Keep a gallon size zipper bag in the box for placing your light bulbs.
- Plastic bags & film – Keep a Recyclops 13-gal kitchen bag in the box for storing bags and film.
- Clothing – Keep a Recyclops 13-gal kitchen bag in your closet for storing your old clothes. Once the bag is full, put it inside or next to your box and we’ll pick it up on your next pick up day.
- Just make sure all your full or mostly full bags are either inside or next to your box the night before your pick up day. We will only take bags that are full or mostly full.
- Please make sure each different material is bagged separately! By separating your materials, we are able to offer Recyclops+ at a reasonable price.
What if all my material doesn't fit in my box?
We know the box won’t hold all of your material, especially when you are putting out clothing or if you have styrofoam or clamshell add-on service. Simply place bags of material that do not fit in the box next to or on top of the box by 10pm the day before your pick up day.
Why do I have to separate all materials in different bags?
It all comes down to costs.
It would require a tremendous amount of manual labor to sort all these materials ourselves. So by sorting your materials at home, Recyclops is able to pass those savings on to you by offering our service at an affordable price.
Where do I put the Recyclops box?
We prefer that you place your box on your front porch.
If you don’t have a porch, we simply ask that you place somewhere on the front or side of your home that is visible from the street so our drivers can easily find it.
Do I keep the box if I cancel my service?
If you cancel your service, we will take back the box on your last pick up day to be reused by another customer.
Can I get a 2nd box?
If you would like a 2nd box, you can purchase one from us for $70 that would be yours to keep should you ever cancel service.
To do so, please reach out to our Customer Experience Team at [email protected]