Upcycling refers to taking plastic or any other recyclable material and turning it into something new without sending it through the recycling process. You can upcycle everything from plastic bottles to scrap metal, and the only thing holding you back is your imagination.
That being said, at Recyclops we are constantly looking for ways in which we can better support our customers to live a more sustainable lifestyle. That’s why we have put together this short list of interesting ways that you can start upcycling plastic bottles from the comfort of your own home.
Follow these simple steps to get started:
- Cut out the bottom third of a 2-liter bottle.
- Paint the bottle white or the color of your choice.
- Fill the bottle with seeds and soil.
- Remove the label from the bottle and clean the inside.
- Take a sharp object and poke drainage holes in the top third of the bottle.
- Poke a hole in the side of the bottle about halfway down.
- Wrap a piece of paper around the bottle.
- Take a marker and trace a cutting line around the bottle.
- Cut along the bottle on the line.
- Flip over the bottle top and insert a strip of fabric.
- Make sure the fabric is in contact with the soil.
For those wanting to double down and create their own private vertical garden, this is perfect for you. Plastic bottles are perfect for those needing storage for a variety of plants both decorative and functional. This kind of vertical garden can be placed almost anywhere if you have some blank wall space that has access to sunlight and can be easily watered. Check out this guide on how to build your own upcycled vertical garden here.
Looking to save some money for your next special purchase? Why not turn your old plastic bottle into an upcycled piggy bank to store your change. Check out this post on how to create your own upcycled piggy bank easily from your own home today.
Our team at Recyclops makes it easy to recycle today straight from the convenience of your home. With our service, you know that your recyclables are going to a designated recycling facility and not a landfill. Learn more about where your recycling goes here.
Depending on your location, recycling is as easy as putting all your materials in one or more bags (depending on how many you have) and putting them right on your doorstep or curbside. Your local Recyclops driver will be there to pick up your materials and ensure they arrive at the destination. And don’t worry about making space for another bin, Recyclops bags or carts come with all our services and pickups come at your convenience.
We want to make recycling easy and simple, and that starts with recycling on your schedule.